When your AC suddenly breaks down, your first reaction is to panic. After all, air conditioning isn’t optional for Friendswood homeowners; it’s a necessary evil that’s critical for productivity, comfort and health. Fortunately, once you have scheduled AC service, there are a number of things you can do to combat the heat before your technician arrives.
Keep Your Cool & Call for AC Service in Houston, TX
Facing an AC breakdown in sweltering Houston temperatures? If you can’t head to the pool to cool off, keep these simple tips in mind while you wait for a reliable AC expert, like Clear the Air, to solve your problem.
- Filter the sunlight. Sunshine streaming through the window quickly turns your home into a solar cooker. To reduce this greenhouse effect, draw the curtains or use energy-efficient blinds and shades to block the sun’s entry.
- Use windows strategically. When it is cooler outdoors than indoors, open windows on opposite sides of the house to create a cross-breeze. To encourage air movement, mount a window fan in upstairs window openings.
- Dim the lights. Depending on the type of bulbs you use, light fixtures can generate unwanted heat. Exchange incandescent bulbs for LEDs, and be sure to turn off lights when you are not using them.
- Prepare oven-free meals. Too hot to crank up the stove? Throw together a salad, fire up the grill, or call for takeout until your AC unit is up and running again. If you must use the oven, make use of the oven light, rather than opening the door and releasing more heat into your kitchen.
- Keep tabs on ceiling fans. During the winter months, you may have set your fan to spin clockwise in order to circulate warm air. To create a wind-chill effect, make sure your fans are now spinning in a counter-clockwise direction. Remember also that fans cool people—not rooms. If you leave the room, turn off the fan to save valuable energy.
Finally, prior to the arrival of your Friendswood AC specialist, remember to gather HVAC system documentation and service records. This expedites the repair by providing the technician with a clear picture of your system’s age and maintenance schedule.
Trust Clear the Air for Emergency AC Repair in Houston, TX
Air conditioning breakdowns seem to happen at the worst possible times: in the middle of a heat wave, when you’re hosting a gathering, or before guests arrive from out of town.
Clear the Air’s NATE-certified technicians are available 24/7 to get your AC up and running fast. Quick to restore your home’s comfort and productivity, we diagnose the issue and provide upfront pricing (without gimmicks or fine print). To schedule your service call today, call 832.224.5595 or fill out our online form.Slow & Steady Wins the Race » « Clearing the HVAC Rumors