How to Avoid Overworking Your AC
Your Houston air conditioning system operates nonstop during summer’s most brutal stretch. Unfortunately, cranking up your AC unit to full power on a daily basis may cause it to break down prematurely. To enhance HVAC performance, ward off costly repairs, and keep air conditioning equipment in tiptop shape for the long haul, follow these simple yet effective steps.
Five Tips for High-Efficiency Air Conditioning Maintenance in Houston, TX
1. Change air filters regularly. Dirty filters slow air conditioning flow and put undue stress on equipment. To avoid this, the Department of Energy suggests changing Houston air conditioning filters every month during the heat of summer. Never wait more than two or three months to change your filter, since dust and debris buildup can take years off of the life of your system. Follow manufacturer recommendations for filter type, and consider a high-efficiency media filter for optimal air purification.
2. Invest in an annual AC maintenance plan. Like your favorite vehicle, your HVAC system needs to be inspected, lubricated, and tuned up on a routine basis. Annual HVAC maintenance plans reduce safety risks, lower energy bills, and enhance indoor air quality.
3. Avoid closing registers. Closing air vents in unused rooms seems like a wise way to save energy, but it actually generates problems. By preventing airflow to specific areas of your home, ductwork pressure increases in other areas. Over time, this leads to duct leaks, energy waste, and a shorter HVAC lifespan. To prevent duct issues, never close registers more than 50 percent in low traffic rooms.
4. Cut grass & clear debris around your outdoor AC unit. Grass clippings and yard debris clog the coils, while damaging the structure and functionality of your outdoor air conditioning unit. So, use caution when you mow, directing grass clippings away from your air conditioner. To optimize AC functionality, frequently prune nearby plants and remove debris around outdoor equipment.
5. Switch to a programmable thermostat. When properly used, your programmable thermostat can help you save up to 10 percent on annual energy costs. Today’s “smart thermostats” give you optimal control over AC use by allowing you to choose temperature settings based on your work, sleep, and vacation schedule. Some programmable thermostats also keep track of relative humidity and provide reports of month-to-month energy savings.
Trustworthy Air Conditioning Service in Houston, TX
In Houston, air conditioning maintenance isn’t just a recommendation; it is a necessity for homeowners who want to get the most out of their AC systems. Neglected equipment is prone to early failure, but having your HVAC system inspected on a semi-annual basis helps to ensure peak efficiency and a healthy indoor climate.
Join the Clear the Air’s Clear Advantage Club
As a Clear Advantage Member, you receive annual or semi-annual factory-fresh tune-ups, along with equipment and repair discounts and our “No Questions” Money Back Guarantee. We promise complete satisfaction with every service call—or we will cheerfully refund 100 percent of your investment. No questions, and no hassles.
To become a Clear Advantage Member or request HVAC service, dial 832.224.5595 today—or contact our team online. A Clear the Air representative will contact you promptly to schedule Houston air conditioning maintenance.Make a Smart Investment With Clear the Air » « Keeping Your Cool: Steps to Take Before the Technician Arrives